Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Music History? HAHAHA!


Sometimes I just don't understand why we have to learn/analyze all these music in such great detail.  For example, when analyzing Beethoven's 5th or 9th symphony, a person can't just say "oh that's great" or "that section of the music was fantastic!".  We have to get into this whole argument about why the music was written the way it was etc.  

As a music major, I want to defend the idea of taking apart the music in that sense.  However, as a Bio major, sometimes these 'iffy' ideals really don't make much sense to me.  I often think that composers probably wrote some of the stuff that they wrote because that's what came up in their head.  Actually, I'm quite positive that not a lot of the composers sat down and said, in this part, I'm representing the anger I have towards the world and my ex lover, etc.  

I guess the main point that I'm trying to get at is that music was written for the audience to listen.  The composers probably wanted us to give our full attention to the music and feel the music move us.  What we're doing instead is reading too much into the music and taking away the heart of it all.  Not only does this not make sense to me, but it is also very upsetting!

No comments:

Post a Comment