Friday, April 15, 2011

Habit


So I have quite a few really weird habits. One of those weird habits is that I have a tendency to pick at my skin around my finger nails. I usually do it so much that it's always red or scabby or bleeding.... I've done everything I can do get myself to stop (except for the stupid things like wearing gloves for a month straight etc) but it's still going on! It's so embarrassing especially when people ask me what happened to my fingers. Let's just hope that nobody thinks I have a weird skin disease or something! I don't even remember when it started except I think it started when I was about 5 or so? Apparently I just do it unconsciously throughout the day. Most of the time I find myself doing this is when I'm in a situation that I don't like (boring situations, frustrating situation, awkward situations.. you get the idea). However, I think it happens randomly as well.

After talking to several people (most of them unprofessional but some professional) about why this unusual habit of mine started and still exists, they all said a similar conclusion that I can't quite agree with. Apparently, this behavior usually starts in kids when they go through a bad time in life or are stressed out about something. It's apparently a way to blame themselves for the situation? BUT I can't really think of a time that I would consider a "BAD" time in my childhood. I mean maybe the fact that I didn't live with my parents for a while and other personal things that somewhat relates to that... but really? I don't think thats it? and if by some weird chance that's why I started, then why can't I stop now? How FRUSTRATING...

No comments:

Post a Comment