Monday, July 12, 2010

The meaning of family

We all have very different types of families. Some are big and others are small. Some may include step families and other may live with their grandparents. While everyone else may turn their back on you, your family will stand by you. As lot of movies and TV shows now days show a lot of not-so-happy side of families. The other day, in Wal-Mart, I witnessed a man swearing and threatening a person around the aisle. Thinking that it might be a fight between two grown men I tried to get out of there before things got too ugly. However, I soon saw a little boy coming around the corner with the saddest look on his face. All I could think was WOW.... I soon felt bad for the boy. He looked like he was only about 5 years old, an age where most parents would shower the kid with love. Him on the other hand, got a lot of swearing and threats thrown at him. To this day, I have NEVER heard either of my parents say anything like that.

Today I saw a movie that reminded me that not everyone in the world are changing their ways of having a family. The movie was entitled 'Despicable Me'. Yes it was a animated movie and yes it was about an evil villain trying to be the best bad guy out there, but there was also a bigger part to the story. The beginning starts out fairly predictable. Gru, he "evil" villain is shown as a person without a care for another person's feelings. He freezes people just to get his morning coffee faster, he pops a poor innocent boy's balloon, and he even makes a dead dog joke without a blink of an eye. However everything take a complete turn when he adopts three girls from an orphanage. The viewers get a clear sense of change in Gru's heart. The impact of the girls is so drastic that he realizes that what he's doing is wrong and tries to keep his promise to the girls.

I would say that like the common saying we should keep God first, Family second, and everything else last. I don't know what I would do without my parents. You can call me a mama's girl or a daddy's girl but I'm proud to be one. Sure I occasionally have a mishap with my parents, but I believe that's what keeps people stronger together. Despicable Me is certainly a good example of that. If friendship and loyalty is best represented in Toy Story 3, this movie represents the true meaning of FAMILY.

No comments:

Post a Comment