Sunday, July 11, 2010

Realization on friendship




친구 = chin-gu

The korean word for friend is chin-gu. As a child I remember my friends running over to my house knocking on my door saying 친구야 놀자! (come out and play friend!!). Friendship was such a cute thing back then. Nothing too complicated but mostly just about having fun with others. However, now I realize that friends are one of the most complicated things in the world but at the same time the easiest. Recently a lot of things have happened in my life and I keep thinking and rethinking about the particular word. Some friends will last a life time and others will fall out. Some friends will even hurt you while others will heal...

For an only child like me, I'm sure that friendship is very important, perhaps even more important than those of you that have the blessing of having multiple siblings. I feel as though in just the past few months I've encounters so many different meanings of fri
endship to the point of me wondering what it really truly means. In the dictionary it states: Friendship is the cooperative and supportive relationship between
people, or animals. In this sense, the term connotes a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, affection, and respect along with a degree of rendering service to friends in times of need or crisis. ... Which makes sense in its own complicated way....

So what happens if the friendship is falling a part? What happens if the person that you want to get closer to is not accepting your step towards them? What happens if you want to pull away from someone but you know that you can't? How should you respond to a friend that has hurt you more than they could probably imagine? What should you do if someone has betrayed you? How should you react to a step in your direction? I can never find the right answer to any of these questions. Of course I'm not saying that all friendships are like this. In fact, I would say that a lot of friendships are beautiful, loving, joyful, and much more!

The Bible tells us to value friendship and that a true friend will stand by you in times of trouble. That a true friend will tell us if and when we are in the wrong. Furthermore says to cherish our genuine friends and do not forsake them. However, the Bible also warns us against false friends... How am I to distinguish between all these? I guess someday when He feels is right, He'll give me an answer...

I recently received this from a friend wanted to post for others to use:

Prayer for a friend





Lord, you've been with me all day
and now unto the night
May your presence still surround me
As I begin to write

I, too have walked this road, Lord
And was quick to ask you why?
Troubles were all around me
So you gave me your reply

You opened up my eyes to see
The good you put in others
Especially those that call themselves
OUr sisters and our brothers

Yes, all have made mistakes, Lord
And we wrestle with the pain
Of deciding who's at fault, Lord
When there's nothing there to gain.

We say we want your will, Lord
Yet you made it plain to see
If we choose to walk in love, Lord..
Our spirits are set free

So, Help us truly recognize
Your spirit from within
As you seek to daily show us
Our thoughts you label sin

My friend, she/he wants to serve you
She/He loves you, Lord, I know
Listen to his cries, Lord
Let your mercies flow

Show her/him that you care, Lord
As she/he seeks your face
To guide her/him and direct her/him
Help her/him understand your grace

My friend, she/he needs your help, Lord
She's/He's a broken wo/man it's true
Come heal your humble servant
Touch her/his heart anew

I pray that all her/his cares, Lord
She'll/He'll lay them in your hands
And you'll lift her/his heavy burden
And show her/him of your plans.

Plans not to hurt her/him... but give her/him hope
And a good future, too
For her/his search's been with her/his whole heart
And, your faithfulness is true.






2 comments:

  1. I don't know how much of this you would agree with me. But I know both of us are pretty independent characters. I used to believe that there is no need to share my burdens, because God wouldn't give me suffering that I cannot overcome. I guess I should say I never really thought it's necessary to share my struggles, since everyone else probably deals with it and there is no need for me to burden them or make a fuss about it. Then one of my friend told me that if I believe that, then why would God place certain people in our lives? My friend told me it's true that God only let things that we can overcome happen, but at the same time, He send us friends, so we can minister to each other and help one another, and love one another.
    There are lots of things that we say, "oh, that's so obvious" or "that's so cliche".
    But those obvious things are things that's hard to really take into our hearts and to really have a clear understanding of.
    But because our mind, our wisdom can't get us so far, we rely on God. That's why we ask and seek Him for His presence in our lives.
    I'm struggling with my non-christian friends back home as you already know. I really love them and love hang out with them, but our conversations and things we do... I sometimes realy wonder if it's alright for me to hang out with them.
    For me, rather than trying to understand what friendship is, it's more about what kind of friends you are to your friends. Instead of asking what friends are to me, I wonder what kind of friend I am to others.
    Life is full of questions, isn't it?

    I like it. :]
    I honestly enjoy it. I will never get bored!

    ReplyDelete